You can rent a property from a:

  • Private landlord
  • Social housing landlord such as the council or a housing association

Private renting

Private rented housing is available across Sheffield.

You can find properties to rent through local estate agents; checking websites such as Zoopla and Rightmove; and checking notice boards in local shops and supermarkets.

Sheffield City Council gives advice about:

  • Your rights when renting a home
  • How to report problems to your landlord
  • What fees landlords and agents can charge

Social housing

Social Housing provides affordable and secure homes. It is for people on low incomes or with particular needs, who cannot access other housing. Social housing is provided by local authorities and non-profit organisations like Housing Associations.

Social Housing costs less than private rented accommodation. It usually provides a long-term tenancy. 

There is a lot of demand for social housing, so priority is given to certain groups of people who urgently need to move. This can include people who are:

  • Homeless
  • Have certain health and welfare needs
  • Living in overcrowded housing

Join Sheffield City Council’s Housing Register and bid for council and some housing association properties through the Property Shop.

Some housing associations also have their own application process and rent some properties outside the Property Shop